Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Teen/Tween Hair: How to Wear Natural Hair and Swim?


Source
It's not quite pool season yet, but it's mighty close. My girls like to swim AND have natural hair, but how to style natural hair while swimming is usually always a challenge.
In the past, we did the ponytail thing and braid thing when they swam 3-4 days a week. That usually worked out OK, but now the girls are so over the ponytails and braids... My 13-year old says they are a kiddie style and hates the curly look. My 11-year-old is OK with lots of twists.

All of which don't leave a whole lot of options when it comes to styling and swimming. The girls have worn Dominican blowouts since December. They've worked out well -- they've experienced straight hair without all of the chemicals. One bad trim later, we've had no major damage that I can tell. But swimming and Dominican blowouts don't mix and are an absolute waste of money.

This year, I have no idea what to do. I'm ready to tell them throw in the swimming towel (pun intended), but then I'd be letting their hair get in the way of an event they'd like to do. Twist outs are cute, but aren't a "pool" style because the hair is left loose.

Usually, I load their hair down with cheap condish and oil to protect it from the chlorine and they go swimming sans swimming caps (those don't work well for them). I wash it out with a shampoo for chlorine and follow up with a deep conditioner.
That has worked well for years -- but now that they are teens/tweens ... Not so much.

Trying to find a style that holds up well with swimming AND that they like is starting to be a bigger challenge than I thought.

What are your styling ideas for swimming and teens/tweens?





No comments:

Post a Comment