Monday, October 8, 2012

HairTroversy: Toya Carter Shows Natural Hair On Twitter; Is She Less Natural Because She Wears Weaves?

By Tenisha Mercer

Last week, reality star celebrity Toya Carter became the latest Black actress with natural hair to reveal it on Twitter. 

Her mid-back length natural hair caused many in the natural hair community to question if it really matters, especially if a star's natural hair is NEVER or RARELY won in public. Hmm... I think it's up for debate.

Toya Carter's natural hair
Now, it appears that the edges of Carter's hair is relaxed, probably to make it blend in with her weaves (though I could be wrong and maybe it is heat damaged). 

Carter is the latest celeb to debut natural hair on Twitter and online, including Tika Sumpter, Angela Simmons, Jill Scott, Raven Symone, Viola Davis, and others. Tweeting and debuting photos of natural hair now seems like it's the black celebrity thing to do, with celebs like Oprah and Tyra (a few years ago) revealing reportedly texlaxed hair.

Is Carter Less Natural for Wearing Weaves?

But, unlike everyone except for Angela Simmons, Carter is rarely seen without her weave. Like, never.

Does it make her less "natural" because she rarely wears her hair out and we do? Should we even care? Or is this just a publicity stunt or more of an effort to say, "I have long hair under this weave?" Forum commenters pounced on Toya's natural hair, saying it appears damaged (I have no idea, her hair looks a lot like mine so I guess my hair technically "damaged" too).

I hate to start a natural hair hierarchy, but it's a question that must be asked.

On one hand, celebs wear weaves as protective styles so that their natural hair isn't destroyed under the harsh heat of flat irons, blow dryers and celebrity appearances. I get that. But at what point does it get extreme, as in "I'm never gonna wear my own hair out?"

I can tell you this: When Beyonce wears her natural hair (she's a reported natural) on the red carpet, holla at me! 

Are celebs who rarely wear natural hair less natural?

4 comments:

  1. If you don't chemically straighten your hair, you're natural period. But what's the point of not showing your hair in its natural glory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Purplgirl48, There definitely seems to be a natural hair pecking order. Many of us wear our natural hair out every day, no big deal. But I also don't like it when the natural hair police try to say who is more "natural." At the same time, I think it takes a certain amount of courage to wear natural hair ESPECIALLY when you've been used to wearing weaves/wigs, which can really become a crutch if you let them. Ultimately, I guess it's an individual decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this conversation is like MAD late however I have to comment. Being a natural and having natural hair are 2 totally different things. If you wear weaves constantly then you are not a natural. Being a natural is about what you promote. However I am glad that they are staying away from the chemicals but black woman can grow long hair obviously so we should work with what we got just like the caucasian women do. I dont know what a natural hair police is but I AM A NATURAL> LIVE IT BREATH IT>
    POINT BLANK PERIOD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting, Genell. Being natural and having/wearing natural hair definitely are two different things. This is definitely something up for debate, because then it gets tricky: What if you are natural and heat trained? What if you wear your natural hair straight every few months or so? Are you any "less" natural?

    ReplyDelete