Saturday, October 15, 2011

Are Grease, Mineral Oil, Parabens and Silicones Really Bad For Your Hair?



If you're a new natural -- or even a natural who's been in the game for a minute -- you've probably heard the warnings about the use of grease, mineral oils, petroleum, silicones and parabens.You'd think that you were lacing your strands with cyanide, based upon the number of naturals who vehemently swear off these ingredients like it's the H1NI virus.


Mention that you're even thinking about using them, and it's almost like a come to Jesus meeting in a roomful of Wicca practitioners.

Usually, it goes something like this:


"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
"You will RUIN your hair."
"Mineral oils block moisture."
"Silicone coats the hair strand."
Or, worse yet, your "Hair WON'T grow!"


Some naturals will do their damnest to convert you to the "other side."A recent post about mineral oils on CurlyNikki.com, via Beauty Brains, got me to thinking: Are these ingredients really so bad? I'll be upfront with you: My absolute favorite deep conditioner is Silicon Mix -- and it's chock FULL of mineral oil.

It moisturizes my hair like no other, it's cheap for just $6, and it works like a charm every time. My hair absolutely loves it. And I love it as well as other Dominican products. Generally, I follow the "do you" regimen. If it works for you, then do it; damn what other naturals say, because they don't know your hair.

I know it's almost blasphemous, but I'll say it: I just don't believe that all the things that are supposed to be "bad" for our hair us, are really bad. One of the most popular products, Miss Jessie's, is full of mineral oils and petroleums.

Yet, some naturals swear by it and think nothing of slapping it on their heads. But those same naturals would never put mineral oil or petroleum on their hair. I'm not a big fan of Miss Jessie's, but it's not because of the ingredients, but rather, price.


We know how little mineral oils and petroleum costs. I just refuse to pay a premium price for non-premium products.

I'm of the same opinion about things like grease. Naturals douse their hair with every kind of exotic oil imaginable, but hardly anything, I've found, works as well for long-term moisturizing than good old fashioned grease on the hair -- not the scalp. Full disclosure: I use Vaseline to seal, olive oil for oil rinses, and coconut oil for my wash and gos.


I've tried pricey pressing oils and anti-humectant serums, but nothing, and I mean nothing, gives me a silky flat iron when I do it myself, like good old fashioned Crisco. I know naturals who read ingredients like stans, instantly throwing out anything with a paraben or "un-natural" ingredient.


Many naturals have tried the all-natural route -- some refer to it as the Curly Girl method -- that avoids parabens and silicones. Their hair has absolutely revolted, with dry, lackluster results. I'm not gonna get too scientific, but it seems that for while everyone says that things like silicones and mineral oil block moisture, but they were created in a lab to moisturize hair and skin.

Most of our mothers knew nothing about 90% of the popular natural hair care practices today: co-washes, heat damage, sealing, finger combing, low manipulation regimens and natural oils were foreign to many of them.

Yet, our hair grew like weeds, often with just a little Blue Magic and Royal Crown grease and ponytails. Look, I'm not saying that we shouldn't reexamine some of our hair care practices. All I'm saying is that the all-natural ingredient route isn't all what it's cracked up to be for everyone.
Do what works for your hair, because what works for one head may not work for another.

Your hair will tell you if a regimen or product is "good" or "bad."

No comments:

Post a Comment