Monday, November 14, 2011

Hair Challenge

Most hair challenges usually involve a regimen -- protective styling, no-heat, sealing and moisturizing, etc., for a specific period of time.

This is a different kind of hair challenge. It's about the challenges our hair experiences-- dryness, breakage, single strand knots, unintentional dreading and matting, thin edges, split ends. Whatever particular challenges you are having.

As my hair has grown, the challenges I'm experiencing now are quite different than the ones I used to have. As I've said before on this blog, I think my wash and go days are done. They once worked marvelously, but now the gel and conditioner do nothing but tangle my hair.

I'm talking about bad tangles and knots  -- the middle of the hair kind that does drastic damage on hair length. I've tried to pick them put, separate it with my fingers. But it's so matted together that I usually just get my scissors and start cutting.

As a result, I've lost some length in the crown :(

On the positive side, my hair has grown a lot thicker over these past few months. I'm finding that my thick area -- a circle-shaped area near my crown -- requires a lot more attention. That area tangles ridiculously. I've been using the finger method for that area, and let me tell ya, it ain't working. I think all the gel I use doesn't help either, and I'm not quite sure how to fix this, other than banning my beloved wash and gos.

After a mini blow out and twist out last week, I had nothing but mats and tangles, and that area has been severely affected. Not quite sure what to do, since I'd been wearing my hear in braids and out occassionally from my wig.

It's time to refine my regimen. I don't ever recall my hair tangling this badly in that area, so it's time for some serious detangling sessions every week. Armed with my Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, I'm gonna be a detangling fool.

Not too much, but enough to make sure my thick areas - a 3-4-inch area near my crown - stay tangle-free as possible. I'm also going to try oil rinses with olive oil. They work really well on by daughters' hair, but I've never used them.

This whole experience has forced me to reevaluate. The only thing differently I'm doing is using Dax on a regular basis to seal, and I tried a protein Silicon mix deep conditioner.

Oh, and I'm also going to be be straightening my hair for a minute to aid in detangling. I've gotten better at twist ous and flat twists, so I'll be wearing my hair that way when it's not flat ironed. I really need to get better at documenting my regimen by photo. Pictures don't lie.

What are your hair challenges and how are you overcoming them?

No comments:

Post a Comment