Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fairy Knots Be Damned!


Another knot?
 This is probably going to come off as a natural hair rant, because it is!

The longer and thicker my natural hair gets, the more fairy knots I get. I'm walking around right now with one on the ends of my hair and a loced piece of hair, all because I don't have my shears with me at work. Tempted to rip it out with my fingers. Only these don't feel like fairy knots, but supersized knots.

Why Knotting Now?

A few years ago, I rarely got a knot. But now? Oh, it's knot city. I just snipped out quite a few matted knots out yesterday. Usually, the knots are limited to my crown -- the thickest part of my hair. I've cut down on gel and have been using Shea Moisture, though I have not totally eliminated gel from my regimen.

I don't know how and the hell folks comb out their locs; my hair mats up like nobody's business and I can't even think to get any object through it without ripping my  hair.

So I snip. And snip some more.

Knot Today
But it gets tiring because I'm losing length in the crown. It's not just one piece of hair that's matted, but multiple pieces of hair -- sometimes on the end, but often in the middle of a piece of hair.

I keep wondering what I need to do differently?

I wear a headwrap every night (a year ago, I used to sleep without one). Eff finger detangling and low manipulation and break out a wide tooth comb every few days? Use henna again (that might be a very good idea)? Add a protein treatment? Eggs, mayo, what? Castor oil (I've heard its good for knots)? Blow it out, avoiding wetting my hair and keeping it stretched? Avoid wetting my hair at all (but isn't water supposed to help with moisture?) Do my deep conditioning (been slacking on my deep con routine).

I'm just confused.  Not sure what I have to do, but I know that I'm sick of these knots.

How do you avoid knots in your natural hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment