Monday, November 28, 2011

My Daughters' Dominican Blowout: Part 1

The girls' natural hair in Oct. 2011

Natural hair after blow out

Natural hair after blow out



For months, I've debated taking my daughters to a Dominican hair salon for a Dominican blowout.

I thought the heat for the blow dryer would be too hot -- and so I put off taking them.

I thought, there is NO way they are going to be able to take the curdles of smoke and red hot heat from the blow dryer. I mean, these are the same girls who flinched if I barely touched their hair. And I just knew they'd leave the salon in tears.

But, after years of wearing their hair curly, they both wanted straight hair, even going so far as asking for a perm (the answer was "no"). 

Their  Hair Story

Let me back up a little bit. My girls haven't had the best salon experiences, either. Actually, they've been quite negative. Most hair stylists don't want to do their hair or complain because of  their hairs' length and thickness. They've left the salon in tears, from stylists who weren't gentle and probably resented all the time it took to do their hair, while admonishing me to perm their hair when they were 6 and 8. (Nope, wasn't gonna happen).  

Their hair is supa dupa think, and it's proved no match for my lack of hair skills post ponytails. Ponytails, I could handle. But as the parent of a 5th grader and 7th grader, my girls wanted something different. Plus, they've outgrown all of those cute little ponytails and barrette styles I used to do.

Why Momma's Not Always The Best

They wanted their hair straight. But Momma's not a hair genius. No matter what product, or styling tool (professional ionic blow dryers and good flat irons from Sally's), it proved no match for their long, thick tresses.

I only got minimal results. I just couldn't get their hair straight. I'd flat iron it, and it would get somewhat straight. But it never lasted. At worst, it would begin reverting the very same day I pressed it. At best, it would last until the next day or two.

With two thick heads, we all ended up frustrated -- and exhausted -- on wash day. The whole process was laborious, taking hours to detangle, wash, blow dry and flatiron -- for each head! Love hair, but I'm no hair expert. I just felt like I couldn't get the hair thing right.

Will it Work?

Enter the Dominican salons.

Notorious for heat, Dominicans are wunderkinds with the round blush and blow dryer. They're famous for coaxing kinks, curls and waves into damn near perm straight locks with a bend and flick of a wrist.  If you want bone straight locks, with no chemicals, they're the best thing going.

I knew if anybody could get the girls' hair straight, it would be the Dominicans. On Saturday, we trekked to Juanita's Hair Salon in Alpharetta. I warned them about the heat. Told them it would be hot. But they insisted (my warnings didn't deter them).

I tried to detangle their hair at home, but once it was wet at the salon, it tangled all over again. It took about four hours -- and a long detangling session on my youngest, whose hair had gotten super thick after weeks of wearing twists -- but they emerged with straight hair.

The Process

Here's how the whole thing went down:

After a long time detangling at the shampoo bowl, it was time for deep conditioning under the blow dryer. I thought I'd have to check my oldest daughter's stylist, after she used a rat tail comb. I didn't see any ripped hair, so I didn't say anything

What's in that Mystery Mix?

What they use is a mystery. Bottles and  jars of creamy stuff. Some had labels, but I couldn't see that far, LOL. They didn't rinse the conditioner out, but blowdried it in. This goes against traditional advice, which says hair should have little to no product in it for a good flat iron. The only exceptions to that rule are heat damage serum/spray and dabs of grease or pressing oil. And, hydrating the hair with moisture or deep conditioners BEFORE blow drying/flat ironing is recommended.

Well, the Dominican blowout took all of that and threw it out the window. After wet detangling under the shampoo bowl, they washed it, put the girls under the dryer for deep conditioning, and then sectioned and detangled again in small Bantu knots. They didn't rinse out the conditioner or whatever mystery mixed they used, because I could see it foaming up on the girls hair. Maybe this process protects the hair or gets it straighter?

Next, they blowed it straight with a round brush and, finally, flat ironed it pin straight for a finishing touch. (It took not one but TWO stylists to blowdry Mya's hair).

They did an excellent job, charging $55 for a blowout+trim and $60 for a blow dry. Their standard prices for natural hair were $45 for a blowout  + $5 more for long hair. I tipped generously, because it took my youngest a LONG time to detangle.

Overall, I'd do this again in a heartbeat. I plan to have their hair straightened once a month -- no more. Heat in moderation, and trust, their next appointment is already booked. My girls? They're happy as pie. My youngest said the detangling hurt, but she liked the results. My oldest daughter's hair is MBL, and the youngest is WL.

Why it was Worth It

And Mommy? Yeah, I'm good! The girls have trusted my non-hair doing behind with their hair for so long that they're old enough and now it's time for me to hand the hair reigns to someone else who I trust. (In full disclosure, I went to this particular salon a few times in 2009, but stopped going because I no longer wanted to heat train my hair).

I'd much rather fork over the cost to let professionals straighten their hair, and I managed to catch up on some work while I was at the salon.  Yeah, that heat ain't no joke, but I'm hoping that blowouts will stave off their desire for a perm for a looooong while.

What do you think? Would you get a Dominican blowout?









No comments:

Post a Comment