Sunday, June 23, 2013

Dark Girls Tonight on OWN

By Tenisha Mercer
www.HairNista.Blogspot.com



The issue of colorism in the Black community -- specifically, against dark skin -- takes front and center stage tonight when Dark Girls premieres at 10 p.m. on OWN.

This whole thing has me feeling some kinda way.

As much as I would like to think this doesn't exist in 2013, we all know that it does. The same cruel things that were said to me about my skin on the playground are still said today. Sadly, things haven't changed.

It's a process that I wish young girls don't have to go through, like I did. It took me until my late teens to finally begin the process of appreciating my complexion.

Let's Talk about It

Dark Girls is definitely a validation of the pain that I -- and others -- went through and currently go through. You can't heal from something until you recognize it and make a decision to move forward. The same colorism that effects dark-skinned girls also limits our lighter-skinned sisters.

Their hurt is no less painful, and this isn't some sort of competition to see who hurts more; we are all victims, whether you were teased and ridiculed because your skin was supposedly too dark or because it was supposedly too light.

No one wins.

Each of us has a story. Maybe, by watching this documentary, we can all come to grips about the pain and let the healing begin.

Will you watch Dark Girls?



No comments:

Post a Comment