Monday, August 5, 2013

Natural Hair is Mainstream

By Tenisha Mercer
http://www.HairNista.blogspot.com


I've been natural for so long that it's easy to live in a natural hair 'bubble' -- you see the blogs, the YouTube natural hair stars and you think that everyone is going natural or at least trying. I happened to see a recent issue of Black Hair Care Sophisticates and, even as a natural, I was shocked to see how much natural hair was represented.

Clearly, natural hair has gone mainstream.


From the hairstyles (I remember flicking through that magazine to find the best short cuts) to the ads, natural hair is in represented -- braids, kinky weaves, natural styles, you name it. Don't get me wrong: It's a good thing. A very good thing.

Weaves and relaxed hair styles are still there, as they should be, in a magazine that no doubts tries to appeal to as broad a hair base as possible. But I'd have never thought the magazine that maybe had a braided style or two back in 2006-2007 and was full of weaves and relaxers would now have a full supply of natural hair styles.

Progress, progress, indeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment