Sunday, October 9, 2011

Garage Sale Haul


Source
I get borderline obsessive when it comes to finding good deals.

I will scour websites, hunt down goods, and do what I need to do to look good -- on a budget.

Ya'll know I love to shop at thrift stores, but here's another love -- garage sales!

I absolutely love them! Summer is always prime garage sale season, but fall is also a good time, especially in the southeast. It's not too hot, and you can comfortably look without the heat.

This morning, I went out and got some good finds -- for about $15. I didn't have a whole lot of time, but I managed to find a pretty good community-wide subdivision garage sale. I frequent them, because they're more potential bang for the buck.

Instead of hoping that a single garage seller has what I want, I'd rather go to a community sale or block sale. These days, I don't need baby stuff like cribs, bedding and such because my kids are teens and tweens, so I'd much rather stake out adult stuff.

I love garage sales because the very same things I can find at a thrift store, are at garage sale for literally pennies on the dollar. Hey, charity is a good thing, but I'd like to avoid the markup, if at all possible.

I found a lot of cute goods, which I'll upload in a pic later when I combine them with the rest of my accessories.

American Eagle leather belt for 25 cents -- with a price tag of $38!

American Eagle ripped jeans - $2

J.Crew white linen shirt - $2

Jessica Simpson hobo bag - $3

Juicy Couture jacket -- $5

American Eagle tank -- $1

Here's how I do my shopping.

Arrive early. If you sleep in on Saturdays, this may not work for you. Competition is steep. Most sales begin at 8 or 9, and serious buyers get there before the sale starts. I've found that it's best to get there when the sales begin to find the best merchandise. I'll warn you, though, you can get the best "deals" at the end of the sale when sellers don't want to lug their items back into their home -- if you find anything left. Better yet, lots of communities have sales on Fridays, so if you're available then, get a rush on other buyers.

Have cash. You'll need cash -- plenty of it. Cash rules, and no, you can't use your debit card. I've never run into a seller with a credit card swipe machine or a Square or Intuit card reader. Carry small bills; no one wants to make change for a $50 or $100 unless you're buying appliances or electronics.

Be ready to buy on the spot. Did I say how much competition there is? There's a lot, so if you spot something, immediately pick it up. Better to not buy it than to let it stay there while you think about it and then someone else nabs it.

Negotiate. Unless you are getting a brand name at a steal or a completely new item, it's perfectly OK to haggle. In fact, sellers expect it. Generally, I offer a few bucks off the asking price. All the seller can do is say no.

Shop in upscale communities. Generally, folks with more disposable income have more of the things you want -- often at bargain prices. Not saying that people with less income don't have good things, but chances are, they may want too much for them. Many times, people with money to burn are just cleaning out their closets to make way for more stuff. Or, they never remember how much they spent for something and just want to get rid of it. Why not take advantage, especially when it's a win-win for everybody? I've found good fakes -- Louis Vuittons-- and even real ones, at a steal and vintage furs.

Have a plan and know what you are looking for. Generally, the day before, I check out community newspapers and sites like craigslist.com for garage sales. I really like sites like craigslist, because sellers often post pictures of the merchandise for sale.

I'll warn you: You will literally find everything at a sale -- 70s knick knacks, dusty printers and flat screens to fashionable finds. If you are the type of person that gets overwhelmed easily, this might not be for you. Have an idea of what you want, so that you'll be ready to get it when you spot it.















Here are a few tips:

2 comments:

  1. I went to the thrift stores by my house the other day. Both of them had some really good stuff in there. We have got to go soon! This is good stuff. I never understood the method to your thrift store shopping madness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL@AyanaGlaze. That's the thing, there is no method! I just scour the racks and look. I grab things if they stand out -- color, designer, etc. I go a couple times a week -- there's one 3 minutes away from the job. Lord have mercy!

    ReplyDelete