Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hairtroversy Part II: Autumn Responds



Source
 Natural hair blogs were on F-I-Y-A yesterday after Autumn, who is pregnant, wrote a blog about her husband threatening to leave because she wore her natural hair on CurlyNikki.com

*Slowly puts down the knife*

Today, Autumn responded. 

We all went hard for Autumn, because many of us know how it feels to be rejected because of our choice of hair or hairstyle. It can be a straight mess on YouTube, hair forums or blogs when it comes to Black women and our hair.

That's how we do.

I, like many others, commented on both posts. I still feel the same, as I expressed in this post about Autumn, her husband and his dislike of her natural hair styles. I have to give it to Autumn, though, she put herself out there. And she reacted much calmer than I probably would have.

I was a bit miffed by her reaction post-blog, especially about people who lambasted her husband -- and her. She got tons, and I do mean tons, of criticism. But you'd have to be Ray Charles to not see this coming. I don't know how all of this went over with her husband. For all we know, maybe their over this issue.

Or, it could backfire: Putting their convo about such a sensitive topic out there might make stir up the disagreement between her husband all over again. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I, bloggers or other commenters think:  This is between her and her husband. It's their marriage.

I may not agree with all of Autumn's responses, but if she likes it, I love it. No one wants to see a marriage go down because of hair; that's why I think commenters and bloggers reacted so personally to her post. But, you can't castigate those of us who weigh in with our opinions when a blog is posted like this.

It's gonna be controversial -- for sure. So buckle up and get ready.

The post forced me to think a lot about authenticity. I give Autumn a lot of credit. It wasn't an anonymous post; it had her real name and picture. And, I'm happy to say, that she still has her marriage. I put my story out there yesterday, describing my husbands' hair style preference and how we deal with it.

And, it forced me to think how I would react if my husband threatened to leave me over my hair.

Maybe I'm idealistic, but I just hope that we can all get past hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment