Monday, May 7, 2012

Moms, Daughters and Natural Hair

Source
Our mothers can be our biggest influence, especially when it comes to things like hair and fashion. Let's be honest:, though: Some of our moms love our natural hair; some of our moms hate it. We are like mini-mes to our Moms and sometimes they want us to look just like them -- even though we are grown adults.

From a natural hair standpoint, our mothers can be our biggest supporters -- or our biggest foes. As Mother's Day rolls around this Sunday, how does your mother feel about your natural hair?


Maternal Influence

Moms and daughters have a special, yet tested bond, LOL. We love our moms, yet we are independent and live our own lives. Everyone whose has lived to tell about your teenage years can probably agree.

But that doesn't mean our moms always liked what we did with our hair, nor have we always liked what our daughters did to their hair. (My mom has been a heat trained natural for years). As a mother of two tweens, I know that I won't like every hair style that my daughters come up with  (Easier said than done). I have to realize, though, that while my daughters have my genetic makeup, they are not me -- they are unique. And I am not them.

As mothers, we have to give our daughters room to express themselves. If that means them shaving their hair off like Willow Smith, then I guess that's what we'll have to do. Maybe? Who hasn't looked at a picture of themselves when they were teenagers and thought, "What was I thinking?"

But you probably learned from that experience, right? I've already gotten questions from my daughters about when they can perm their hair, (been asking that one for a while) color it and cut it, so I know it's a matter of time, LOL. Jesus hold the wheel!

How does your Mom feel about your natural hair? Or, how do you feel about your daughter's natural hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment