Thursday, February 14, 2013

Do Naturals Do The Most?

By Tenisha Mercer
www.HairNista.Blogspot.com

Read an interesting natural hair blog from Think & Grow Chick, who is frustrated by her time-consuming regimen. Can't we all relate? Between pre-pooing, detangling, product applying, drying, etc., this natural is fed up with the time consuming process of natural hair. And I can say that I can totally understand.

I read her regi and I got tired!


She's so frustrated that she's about to throw in the natural hair towel. Not gonna lie: We've all been there. Maybe friends talked us down. Or maybe that little voice said hold off. Wait a minute. I just might have a headful of hair one day if I wait a damn second.

The problem?

Natural hair ain't easy; never has been. And for many of us, it is a process. But I also think that we put too many damn steps in it. Is it really necessary to co-wash your hair 2-3 times a week when  maybe once a month (gasp!) will do? Dare say it on many natural hair forums because you just might get your curls slapped.

But for reals. If your detangling sessions last hours, why are you wetting your hair on the regular? And there are so many steps -- before your hair is styled.


When It's Time To Do Something Different

And, for all the You Tubers who are doing the most, doesn't that make you feel like you need to add a few steps to your regimen, just for good measure. Because, you know, their hair is growing like weeds and maybe you feel like yours isn't.

I'm convinced that many of us are doing so much that we should just stop.

It. Doesn't. Have. To. Be. This. Difficult. Some of us have to do a lot. But many of us don't.

Why More Isn't Always Best

I'm all for simple. I've simplified my regimen totally. I've begun to heat style more -- and my hair is growing like nobody's business. And I've cut out half of the products I used to use. Now, I only use conditioner (lately, I've been using Tresemme Naturals conditioner) for my wash and go. Which no longer tangles like nobody's business, because I don't use gel.  I don't twist anymore, because I have to re-twist every night. And my ends still tangle, no matter how gentle I am, the next morning.

Le sigh.

I'm done with all the complicated ish. No finger massaging my scalp. No applying Monistat. No popping all kinds of pills and hair vitamins for hair growth. No four-strand twists. The simpler, the better. No doing weird shit for my hair (yeah, putting bull sperm on your hair is straight WEIRD).

Have you simplified your regimen?



No comments:

Post a Comment