Friday, March 29, 2013

HairTroversy: India Arie and Skin Lightening Controversy

By Tenisha Mercer
www.HairNista.Blogspot.com

India Arie on her new single cover vs. an image on the red carpet
 
Known for her natural hair and color affirming lyrics in songs such as "I am Not My Hair" a decade ago, soul songress India Arie is accused of lightening her skin in a new ad promoting a single on her new album, "Songversation."

Wearing a head wrap and a printed jacket, Arie appears much lighter than the rich chocolate complexion that we've come to know her for. And, as you might have guessed, folks are weighing in (as I am, too).

India isn't the first to be dogged with skin lightening rumors. Beyonce is also thought to have lightened her skin for her L'oreal ad campaigns.

Now, India is saying publicly that it's the lighting. Her representatives told TMZ that the criticism is ridiculous and said the lighter images are a photo thing -- angle and flash.

But not everyone is buying that explanation.

Rapper Rhymefest (who?) said, "even " It’s not the lights, even if it’s make up! Why India Arie!? This isn’t You! Please tweet her and ask her why…I hope her music sells I like her message but lookin like Alicia Keys isn’t the way nothing’s wrong with dark skin.”

I'm no photographer, and I have no idea about lighting or angles. All I know is my skin tone on my smart phone come out much darker and lighter depending upon the light and the angle of the camera.

Though India looks much lighter, maybe it's the angle. Maybe it's the foundation. Or maybe she hasn't spent a whole lot of time in the sun (many of us lighten up during the winter and our complexions deepen with the sun.)

I have no idea.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think black people are quick to accuse someone of bleaching their skin. In this case, I believe it's the lighting.

    I also think this was done on purpose to match the name of the song. I mean, it's "cocoa butter," not "coffee bean" lol

    ReplyDelete