Monday, February 6, 2012

HairTroversy: Willow Smith Gets a Big Chop

Willow Smith's recently shorn locks have the hair blogosphere on FIYA!

Willow cut her hair!
She's too grown!
Jada let that child mess UP her hair!
Huh? *blank stare*

Willow, of "Whip My Hair" fame, is known for pushing the coif envelope. She's rocked shaved sides with braided extensions,, weave, a Nicki Minaj-type white and pink wig, and now a big chop. Willow debuted the cut on Friday on her WhoSay account.

No sooner that she had put away the clippers, trollers turned to their keyboards. Judging by some reactions -- which have ranged from the cheeky, "Willow is growing up too fast," snarky remarks, to some even questioning an 11-year-old's sexuality -- you'd have thought Willow kicked a 90-year-old woman in the shin.

I've said it before on this blog and I'll say it again: From her hair to her wardrobe choices, Willow can't catch a break from us.

I guess it's only fitting for an 11-year old who set the music world on fire with her "Whip My Hair" anthem not long ago, to now serve as a role model for big chops. For a community that proclaims, "I am Not My Hair" on blogs, YouTube vids, buttons, earrings and T-shirts, I really do think that we are our hair.

Why Willow Did What Many of Us Won't Do
You mad? Maybe you should be. An 11-year-old cut her hair and you are scared to. Willow isn't your typical 11-year old girl. How many 11-year olds do you know with a hit record and a multi-million recording contract?

Sorry, but I don't see Willow wearing ponytails anytime soon.

She defied a big stereotype, that we really have not dealt with: Little Black girls in America don't cut their hair.  If it's falling out, that's one thing, then it's OK. But a head of long, healthy hair? Houston, we've got a problem!

See, Willow doesn't fit into anyone's box -- and her parents are OK with that. That's where the problem lies with most. Willow at 11 do what many of us are afraid to do as grown women two or three times her age.  If naturals are known for anything, it's shaking the hair world up. You don't think that our daughters and sons see that and want to do it, too?

Essence Magazine's Demetria Lucas had even more criticism for all the folks who said very little when Willow had fake hair or sported wigs, but are now all up in arms because she cut HER hair off. Double standard, no? This is what her mother, Jada Pinkett Smith, told Essence about Willow's shaved hairstyle of a few years ago:

"I'll never forget her sitting in that chair and watching that hair fall off. She transformed right before my eyes and I was like, 'Oh my goodness!'" said Jada. "For Willow to stand there and say, 'I'm Willow Smith and this is me,' what more could you give a little girl? And I learned that lesson from my mother, because that's what she gave me."

What's wrong with that?

Would you let your daughter do a BC? What do you think of Willow's hair?




2 comments:

  1. I say, "Good for her!" If that child's momma ain't tripping, why are we? As black woman (no as a black culture) we cannot encourage our children to be who they are then turn around and shoot them down when they do be who they are. Now would I want my little girl to do it? I don't know. After all, she's only 2. But I can tell you, she definitely has a style (hair, clothing, etc.) all her own. I mean I have to show her you tube videos and pull out the bows in order for her to sit still so I can do her hair. And she is only 2 years old. But hey! That's my little girl and what works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @AyanaGlaze, I think sometimes we just want to have something to trip about, while we are not the ones maintaining Willow's head!

    I'll admit that letting my girls express themselves with their hair is something I had to work on. I wanted my youngest to wear ponytails and barrettes forever, but she didn't want to after 3rd grade. Shrugs.

    They do their hair now and I'm usually fine with the styles -- though I do have one pet peeve: a braided bang straight down the middle of the forehead.

    And I'm with you, IDK if I would want my daughters to cut theirer hair off because it's a decision they'd have to live with. I'd tell them that if they cut it,they have to live with it. They can't wear a wig or wear extensions to "cover" it. They'd have to own it. If they could do that, bring the clippers. If not, then do a half shaved style or figure out a different style.

    I definitely think it will be interesting to see how our daughters express themselves as they get older.

    ReplyDelete