Sunday, April 1, 2012

Was it Just Me?

Source
Over the weekend, me and the hubby were enjoying our usual Saturday spring routine -- cruising for garage sales. Hey, when you find Betsey Johnson belts for $1 and $10 bottles of genuine Cartier perfume, you'd garage sale shop, too!
We rode up on a garage sale and the sellers were still putting merchandise in their driveway. No sooner than we walked up to the driveway, the seller, an Asian man, told me, "I have specials for you."

Now, in my mind, I'm thinking, good! It's not everyday that you stumble upon a garage sale mid-morning and merchandise is just being put out. We like garage sales, but we don't stalk them -- as in, get up at the crack of dawn and pull up to the house BEFORE the sale begins. So, I thought we were lucky to get the first crack at the merchandise.
Turns out those "specials" weren't so special. The man holds out a package of Deja Vu weave.

The "Special" that Wasn't
"$5," he said.
Wait just a damn minute.

Weave? I was so confused for about a half second.

I looked at the package and then back at him and said with a confused look on my face, "No, thank you, I don't wear fake hair."

Bow! No shade at all for those of who you do rock weaves. It's a protective style and you know my motto: Do you, boo! But everything ain't for everybody. Besides, I had my share of weave back in 1992, with my french roll and glued-in track for a long bang. It was the first -- and last -- that I ever wore weave.

Didn't know nothing about fake hair and I wet my hair without making sure the track was loose enough. As I attempted to take it out, a bit of my hair was ripped out in the front and that area has been thin ever since.

Back to the Garage Sale ...

Now, I thought to myself, why would this man just assume that I'd want to buy his weave? Is it because I'm Black? Maybe the guy was a beauty supply owner, IDK. And maybe all of the other Black women he deals with are all over weave. But one look at my natural hair -- I wore a large, wild twist out -- should have told him that maybe I might not be the weave customer he was looking for.

What do you think? Do you think the garage sale owner assumed I'd want weave?  Do you think I overreacted? Has anyone ever made assumptions about your hair?














as stilhat wWe found one sOne partroutineme and the hubs were doing our normal saturday garage sale shopping. as i walm up to a sale an asian man runs out and says
i have specisls. 5. shows me jair. i
said i dont wear fakr hair

No comments:

Post a Comment