Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy, Gratefulness and Natural Hair

By Tenisha Mercer


Hurricane Sandy floods NYC


As Hurricane Sandy barrels up the East Coast -- leaving a devastating path that has claimed dozens of lives and is expected to cause billions of dollars in damage in its wake -- it makes me think about how grateful I am for the little things in life.

Yeah, I know this natural hair blog is about my two vices -- natural hair and fashion. But if a hurricane were heading to you right now (saying prayers for those of you in Sandy's path) would that matter? Would you really care how your curls look? Would I even care about my product stash or trying the 'latest" and greatest product?  Would I obsesses over finding the  perfect scarf or making sure my accessories are on point?

Why Natural Hair is The Least of Our Worries

I wouldn't give a damn about my hair.

I'd be hunkering down, hopefully in a safe place, and grateful that, hopefully, I'd come out unscathed. It's all about survival, NOT hair.

We've got some cold, blustery weather in ATL today. In the grand scheme of things, tho? I'm sure that folks who died, who were injured,  whose properties are damaged in the U.S. and the Caribbean, and the millions now without power would much rather be in a position that I'm in than to have all of their possessions washed away.

Let's put it all into perspective: Sometimes, it takes an act of nature to really understand what we should be grateful for.

What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment