Monday, October 8, 2012

Tia Mowry Talks Big Chop

Actress Tia Mowry big chopped recently-- and boy, she reports her new hairstyle took a lot of getting used to!

Mowry, who has worn weaves for years as an actress in Hollywood, said she cried when her stylist cut her locks. Mowry, who has since sported a cute pixie cut and natural waves, has adjusted and said her hairstyle has given her a new "... outlook on life."

She dishes below on HollywoodHipHop.com:

                                                                Source: YouTube.com

Most of us can relate. Long hair, whether it's natural or not, is coveted in our community. And hair is our security blanket. It's what we're known for. I was always the little girl with long hair, that strangers actually would pull to see if it was all mine. So when I cut all mine off in 2006 (no big chop) it took a minute. I didn't quite cry, but it took a long time for me to "see" myself, it that makes sense.


Tia Mowry's big chop-- Source


Yes, our hair grows and it will grow back if we decide to let it grow back. But that doesn't mean our minds still don't associate long hair with beauty -- especially if that is the type of feedback that was reinforced at a young age.

I'm glad that Mowry did the big chop -- for her. She may decide to grow her hair back, or maybe she'll let it stay. Beautiful either way.

How did you handle your big chop?  Did you cry?


2 comments:

  1. I love her short natural cut. She looks so sassy and modern.

    When I did my BC it took a long while for me to feel like myself or even cute. Initially I felt like I looked like a gila monster. Some days I still have to fight through that mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @purplgirl48, Agreed. I really think that most women look better with their own hair... Tia is no exception. And yes, it takes a while to get used to shorter hair. I definitely think it's true that hair hides your features; you can't do that with short hair.

    ReplyDelete