Thursday, March 6, 2014

Actress Lupita Nyong'o attacked by skin cream bleaching maker

By Tenisha Mercer
www.HairNista.Blogspot.com

It's really not a light skin vs. dark skin argument: Saying that actress Lupita Nyong'o is beautiful doesn't take away from anyone else's beauty --- no matter what end of the color spectrum you fall under.

But all the talk about Lupita's beautiful complexion and rich, dark skin tone has apparently drawn the ire of Cameroonian-Nigerian pop star Dencia, maker of the skin whitening cream Whitenicious.

 
Dencia attacked the Academy Award winner on Twitter recently after the 12 Years a Slave told the audience at the Essence Women of Hollywood luncheon that she persuaded a fan not to purchase a Dencia's skin whitening products, and urged her to embrace her Black beauty.


Nyong'o spoke of her battles with her skin color when she was younger, and how she used to pray that she'd wake up lighter.

"I got teased and taunted about my skin," Nyong'o said. "My one prayer to God was that I would wake up lighter skinned. The morning would come and I would be so excited about seeing my new skin that I would refuse to look down at myself until I was in front of the mirror because I wanted to see my face first. Every day I would feel the disappointment of being just as dark as the day before."

Haters gonna hate


Dencia needs to have a seat -- several of them. Self hate aside, Dencia is trying to ride Nyong'os coatttails, saying this typo and grammatically incorrect rant on Twitter:

“Every year the Oscars use 1 black scape goat 2 fool blacks 2 support them,this is ur year,next year another black person get over urselves,” one tweet read.

Then, she called out Nyong'o specifically:

“& oh @Lupita_Nyongo cln’t talk abt the bleaching creams white people (Companies) make cuz the white man pays her,they own her!!,” she tweeted. “And oh while u claim she isn’t thinking of me, I’m on Her brain 4 her 2 mention me in a speech she shld have thanked u stupid fools.”

Hilariousness in 2014

Twitter users defended Nyong'o, but the star hasn't responsed publicly, which is probably exactly what the Nigerian pop star is angling for and hoping to get. How about we see Dencia's real complexion -- and not a ghastly altered and bleached misrepresentation of it.

In the meantime, Nyongo's Academy Award + slew of other awards, speak for her. No fake Twitter beef necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment