Monday, March 5, 2012

Karyn White: 80s Natural Hair Blast From The Past

Source


80s R&B star Karyn White -- who crooned top hits such as "I'm not Your Superwoman" and "The Way You Love Me" -- is back.

After leaving the music industry for nearly 20 years, she's got a new album, according to Essence Magazine.

I still can sing White's lyrics from her old songs from heart, but that's not why I'm excited.

I just realized that White is natural. I'm an 80s baby, and I saw plenty of pics of White back in the day with her signature headful of curls. White and the late Whitney Houston were competitors -- though White never had the crossover appeal that Houston had. Her voice was always amazing, but she was always someone that you wondered: "Whatever happened to her?"


Source: YouTube

Now we know. She divorced her music producer superstar husband Terry Lewis in 1999, started a successful real estate career in Sacramento, and left the music game. Now at 47, White is gorgeous -- and back with a new CD, "Carpe Diem."

Back to her hair, though.

Source


For some reason, I never thought her hair was her hair. Weird, right? I guess there were so many weaves -- even back then -- that I didn't fathom that she was wearing her naturally curly hair. Well, when I saw a pic of her for her new album, it does appear that White's hair is natural. That would make her one of the few natural R&B stars in the 80s.

What other natural music stars in the 80s/90s do you remember?



2 comments:

  1. I just watched an episode of TV One's Life After featuring her. I kept looking at her hair too. I kept thinking is it a weave, is it not? Younger photos of her looked like she did try to keep those natural curls. I want to say I think (and hope) you're right, she's a natural ! (Pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting @Besos Mama. Karyn White says she is natural -- no weave. She was natural back in the day!

    ReplyDelete