Thursday, November 7, 2013

Brazilian Blowouts: Would you get one?

By Tenisha Mercer
www.HairNista.Blogspot.com

A lot of naturals were on that Brazilian Blowout  -- a chemical hair straightening process  --bandwagon a few years ago. It offered a naturals' dream -- sleek, straight, not quite natural hair that gradually washed away over time and wasn't permanent.

I even checked out the process on popular natural hair forums and hair boards. Ultimately, I decided against it for a few reasons.


1. I couldn't see why I should just not get a perm. The formaldehyde and its derivatives -- a known cancer causing agent -- in this stuff were just too much (I'd just slap a box of relaxer in my head call it a day) and scared the hell out of me. Salons owners began using masks to put this stuff on their clients  and that was an immediate no-no!
2. The FDA issued a health alert about the Brazilian Blowout. 'Nuff said.

So it's not surprising that even Jennifer Anniston's hair did not react well with the Brazilian Blowout and she had to lop off quite a few inches off her signature hair cut. I know it was not pretty. I feel for ANY woman who is forced to have their hair cut! No one wants to go from armpit length hair to a bob by mistake!



Anniston in early November  (x17online.com)



Anniston in September (Getty Images)


Now, Jennifer's hair looks pretty straight already to me but who knows how it looks when it's just washed? And maybe she's tired of the arduous blow dry and straightening routine that her hair goes through every day.

Would you try a Brazilian Blowout?




No comments:

Post a Comment