Thursday, September 22, 2011

Six Tips for Thrift Store Shopping

From Goodwill to Value Village, there's a thrift store in just about every community. Now, I know that people are "rediscovering" thrift stores because of the economy, but for many thrifting die-hards, the thrill of shopping there has never left.

In honor of National Thrift Store Day earlier this week, I'd like to pay homage to thrift stores.


Source

Let me explain. I've been a die-hard thrifter for a while. I was raised in them, by my grandmother who always seemed able to make a dollar out of two cents. Not that she couldn't afford to shop elsewhere; she definitely could --- and did.

But, in her mind, why pay more for things when you didn't have to? That's where I got my love for thrifting, though I really didn't appreciate it at the time. Like most kids, I just wanted new, brand-name, in style stuff -- not the goods available at my local thrift store.

Still, I accompanied my grandmother on her thrift store hauls, particularly the Salvation Army that was less than a mile from our house in Highland Park, near Detroit, and the Value Village store a few miles away.

Eventually, her thrifty ways caught on. Every weekend, I looked forward to church rummage sales where, in dank, dark, musty church basements, I pored over vintage jewelry, old army jackets and other cool stuff when I was in high school.

I still thrifted while in college, often picking up tailored, name brand clothing I couldn't afford to wear to my newspaper internships. Then, my kids were born and I thrifted yet again, especially for barely-worn chic, fashionable baby clothes like Osh Kosh and Easter dresses for my daughters.

Expect for a brief period 5 years ago when I was building my business and I could barely afford to shop at a thrift store (I was filled with resentment that I could barely afford Value Village finds, but that's another story, LOL!), I've always shopped thrift.

Fastforward a few year and I've fallen in love with thrifting all over again. Vintage fashions are all the rage and, for the most part, that's at thrift stores. In fact, I often won't buy brand new, vintage-inspired clothing because I know that I can find it in a thrift store.

Germophobes be warned: You're sorting through things other people actually wore -- sweat stains and all -- and there's a certain smell that seems to be at EVERY thrift store, no matter where you go.

If you're new to thrifting, here are a few tips.

All thrift stores are not created alike. Really, it depends on personal preference, though I've managed to find good deals at just about every thrift store I've gone to. Thrift stores are consignment are not the same. That's not to say you can't find good deals at consignment stores, but usually consignment means higher prices.

I prefer to shop thrift, because it's the thrill of the hunt. You literally don't know what you find, and that's what makes it so fun. I spotted a pair of $125 Christian Louboutins the other day at Goodwill. Too big for me, but a steal nonetheless for that lucky person with a size 9 or 10-size foot.

  • Spend a little time getting to know your store. Often, expensive name brands can be had at stores in upscale communities, but this isn't always the case. Those Louboutins? Those were at a Goodwill in a largely blue collar ethnic community. So, don't judge a store by the neighborhood it's in. I snared my wedding dress and veil for just $75 at a St. Vincent De Paul store in a largely impoverished area of Detroit nearly16 years ago.
  • Go often. Seriously, the stuff has a fast churn. New items are brought in on the regular -- like many times throughout the day -- and there's nothing like the thrill of getting to a fresh rack of clothing before it is distributed on the floor. Racks are often left empty during the beginning of the week,  so mid and end-of-week shopping is best.
  • Take your time and go through each piece of clothing. Thrifting isn't like hitting up the rack at Macy's or TJ Maxx; you literally never know what gems you'll find. So, don't thrift if you're rushed for time; you'll miss something. Most thrift stores separate clothing by color and hang clothing on huge racks. Take your time to go through each and every piece of clothing on the rack; even check the floor for stragglers or clothing that fell on the floor. Be patient! I've missed good finds when I've been in a hurry.
  • Name brands, baby! I'm all about the brand names when I thrift. Why? Buying name brand fashions for pennies on the dollar. Sure, you can find clothing from Wal-Mart at thrift stores,  but why bother? Many times, you can find brand new items with the tags still on them from top brands such as H&M, Ralph Lauren, Armani Exchange and others.
  • Check clothing carefully. Most thrift stores don't allow returns, so buy carefully. Inspect the clothing for missing buttons, torn seams and broken zippers. As long as you're willing to sew it or have it altered, these things don't make it an automatic no-no, but it's best to go in knowing what you'll have to fix. I never buy white cotton or black cotton because it's usually faded or dingy with wear by the time it hits the store. And, I'm a sucker for well-tailored clothing, especially if you vintage shop. A well-tailored piece (vintage) is better than a cheaply made, modern piece of clothing.
  • Try it on. I never leave thrift stores without trying on clothing. I'll warn you: The fitting rooms aren't luxurious like Macy's (they're usually very dusty, dingy and with poor lighting) but I always try merchandise on. This is pre-worn stuff in many cases, so you want to check to see if clothing fits, if it is stretched out or otherwise unflattering. I always, always, always try on shoes, because it's important to me to get shoes that aren't run over or too worn. Shoes are one of the things I like least about thrifting because once someone has worn a shoe a lot, it can be hard to make it comfortable fit. Look for barely-worn or brand new shoes, instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment