Monday, September 19, 2011

Wig it Up!

It can turn into an ugly, vicious debate in the natural community: Wigs/weaves vs. naturals.

But really, there shouldn't be an us vs. them.  I think naturals feel some type of way about weaving/wigging up, but I'm all about doing "you" and whatever that means for Y-O-U.

If that means wearing a wig or a weave to protect your precious tresses, then so be it. If length is your goal, the wig/weave wearer (depending on how well they maintain their natural hair, of course), will probably retain more length than those twist outs, braid outs and wash and go girls who wear their hair out non-stop.

Pick the wig or weave that looks best on you and do you, BOO!

Heck, I wore a straight wig three years ago to grow out a pixie cut. And I'm strongly considering buying a few natural wigs just to give my hair a much-needed break. I probably won't wear a straight wig, but a natural wig? Yeps, that's the plan.

If you haven't checked kinky wigs out recently, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. There are so, so many on the market these days. From short to long to everything in between, natural wigs are all the rage. Why buy all these concoctions, curly cremes, $40 puddings and all of that when I can buy a wig with realistic looking curls?

I think my hair just might thank me for it.  Even weaves have gone kinky. I saw a kinky weave on a model in a magazine that was just GORGEOUS!

I don't have a problem with curls in my natural hair; my problem is uniform curls. My curls are about the size of the tiny metal pieces inside a push-button pin. But they're not uniform. And shrinkage is a MUTHA! Some days my curls are poppin' all over. Other days, ehh.

That, and I get tired of manipulating my hair at times. I think of wigs as an accessory. I'm easily bored. I probably won't color my hair, but I sure will sport a wig with the color I'm feeling at the moment -- and save my natural hair from the maintenance and upkeep that comes with color.

I'm loving the La Jay by Vanessa and Creta Girl by Freetress. I hate wig stock photos, (they look SO much better on a real person) so I'm showing images of wigs that were posted online or in forums with a link back their original source.

Would you wear a wig or no?


Creta Wig by Freetress

La Jay by Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment