Friday, December 9, 2011

Gel Relapse


Earlier this week, I told you how hair gel is my hair crack.

Well, I've had a relapse. I did a wash and go updo with gel. I tried to do a 7-day no gel challenge, but the gel got the best of me. Hold up. I've got a good excuse. I had an interview Thursday. And gel gives me consistent styling; it's why I use it.

I usually wear my hair curly on job interviews, because:

1. I go as my hair is. If someone has an issue about my hair, it's best that they see it curly -- early! That way, if hair IS an issue, we can get over that hump in the beginning and I can keep it moving. Can curly hair be an issue? You damn right, but I definitely think it's less of an issue that what we think it is.

I've found that usually, curly hair tends to be "our" problem, not theirs. We stress over what white folks will think about our hair when, a lot of the time, it's another person who looks like us who has an issue with "our" hair. Go figure. As I said, though, if there is a curly hair bias, I think we need to get that issue out of the way pretty early so that I won't work there and no one will get hurt, LOL!

2. I tend to do more tried-and-true, tested formal natural styles on an interview. I have not perfected twist outs. Many times, they're a hit or miss. So I usually do a curly bun because it's super easy for me and the results are pretty much consistent. And I think that, like any hairstyle during an interview, it's best to error on the side of being too conservative.

I don't whip out the fro until I get the job.  I've heard some naturals say they wear their hair straight and then curly after their probation is up. I don't do that, but to each it's own. I'd rather folks get a clear idea of what my hair will look like. I'll wear it curly for months, in wash and gos and updos, and then wear it straight. Folks are usually surprised -- and that's fine. It's good for folks to see how versatile our hair is.

How do you wear your natural hair during an interview? Are you worried about natural hair styling before an interview? Do you think we worry too much about our hair in the workplace?

No comments:

Post a Comment