Friday, December 2, 2011

HairNista Challenge: No Gel 7-Day Challenge

Gel insecurity? Not sure if I'm feeling this? I thought it looked cute.
My name is Tenisha. And I am addicted to hair gel.

Gel is my creamy, err, goey crack? It's just something about how my hair hangs with gel.I've never got the knack of the tightly curly method of just using conditioner. I NEED something more in my hair than just conditioner to make it hang right.

I use conditioner (lately, Cantu Shea Butter) + Doo Gro under it, but I also use gel. Typically, I'm not able to get 3-4 day hair, either, so I at least have to wet it every morning. I'm so bad with it that my friend says I use WAY too much of it, LOL.

Unless my hair is flat ironed, it's rare for me to go two weeks without using gel -- usually EcoStyler with Argan oil, but before that it was Sallys Proclaim Activator gel. My hair just don't feel right unless I add just a teeny, tiny bit, at least to the front.

All of this worked fine until this summer, when my hair really began to thicken up -- especially the crown. EcoStyler started tangling my hear. I swore it off and began using Proclaim again. But I couldn't stand the feel of Proclaim in my hands, so back to EcoStyler we went.

Sigh. I just don't know if this recent thickness and length will allow me to wear a wash and go. I swore off Wash and Gos not even a few weeks ago, but they are my go-to style that I KNOW will turn out  halfway decent (my twist outs are often a #fail).

Curls, Curls, Curls
I think I have a curl obsession, no? I know. I know. In previous posts, I said I would stop using gel, because of knots. Well, I backslid... and started using it again. This week, I slapped a pound of it on the back of my hair. And let's not even talk about my damaged crown (found a few more tangles there, too).

Wouldn't you know it that some of the back of my hair, where the length is, has tangled. Can you say setback? I don't have patience to remove masses of tangled knots, so I snipped snipped two knots out this morning. I think I lost a good 3 inches, and I don't want to think about how long it took me to grow that -- nor how long it will take to grow back!

Major setback, HairNistas, or at least I feel like it's a major setback. My crown is noticeably shorter, and now the same issues are affecting my length.

That's why I'm committing to not using gel. I'm starting small -- one week, no gel. Let's be real. I'll probably have to replace it. Thinking about using Shea Moisture's Curl Milk or an old fave -- Hawaiian Silky 6 in 1 or Carefree Gold activator. Something, anything that won't tangle my hair, AND that's not made with gel.

Can I do it?

Yesterday, I put gel on it, but it was in an updo and slightly stretched. This morning, I fluffed my wash and go and got rare second day hair. Tonight, I think I'm going to detangle it and set it on curl formers for a Corinne Bailey Rae inspired curly do or blow it out because I'm tired of knots. Other than avoiding gel like the plague, I think I'm also going to up my detangling routine.


Lovin' this updo, but why do I ALWAYS cut by head off in pics?


Admittedly, I'd gotten away from it, after reading one too many blog posts about naturals who finger comb or don't detangle at all. I thinks my hair can still manage fingers, but I definitely need a comb!

What non-gel products do you think I should use for a wash and go? Does gel tangle your hair? Has this happened to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment