Monday, April 15, 2013

Green Smoothies Fo' Life, Yo!

By Tenisha Mercer
www.HairNista.Blogspot.com

Earlier this year, I began a lifestyle change to eat healthier, inspired in part by a Green Smoothie challenge on Facebook.

I saw the Green Smoothie challenge too late on Facebook to join, but I decided to do my thing, anyway. I got out my Ninja  -- an infomercial product that was gathering dust in my kitchen cabinet --  bought some spinach and frozen fruit, and began blending away using this smoothie recipe.


Today? You couldn't pay me NOT to drink my green smoothies. They've become apart of my lifestyle and I can't imagine myself without them. I couldn't bring my Ninja on vacay with us in Florida (packed too many shoes and the Ninja wouldn't fit) and I had to go a whole week without one, though I did sub the next best thing, Bolthouse Farms.

Here's why I like smoothies so much:

  1. Energy -- This is one of the main reasons. I feel so much better when I drink them. I only drink one a day, but I drink a good 2-3 cups of the green stuff. I have thyroid issues, so this is an added perk to boost fatigue.
  2. Skin/hair  -- My skin is straight glowing. As someone who used to suffer from horrible eczema, that's good, because I know it's good skin from the inside out. I've gotten a few minor blotches of eczema, but my skin has "healed" itself, without use of the steroids. I attribute that to my green smoothies, because this never happened before. Maybe my hair is benefiting as well, or at least I'd like to think so.
  3. Eating habits -- I start my day with a spinach smoothie. It's the first thing that hits my lips in the morning. Now, I tend to eat much better throughout the day when I start my day with veggies. Used to have unreal sugar cravings, but now those are virtually gone.
  4. Weight loss -- I've dropped about 8 pounds, and other than green smoothies and less of a sugar craving, I haven't gone out of my way to change my eating habits. Now,I generally eat a bit less in the mornings (I just have as smoothie and usually nothing else, unless I'm hungry). It's one of the best ways to lose weight, because I haven't tried to lose weight.

The benefits of my green smoothies have been so good, that I'll drink these for life!


No comments:

Post a Comment