Wednesday, January 11, 2012

HairTroversy: What's The Worst Thing Someone Has Said About Your Natural Hair?


Source
 If you read natural hair blogs like Hairnista, Curly Nikki or BGLHOnline or peruse the many natural hair Tumblr photo sites, you'd swear that everybody just loves natural hair, right?

No, Boo Boo, everybody ain't in love with our kinks, curls and coils. Some people downright hate them, and they are quick to tell you that they don't support our natural journey!

Inspired by Char Jay's hilarious YouTube vid, Sh*t Natural Girls Say to Relaxed Girls, what's the worst thing you've ever heard said about natural hair?

Are the Jokes On Us?
I admit, I cringe whenever I hear Martin talk about Pam's "beady beads" or her "kitchen." Funny as hell in the 90s and I will admit it's still funny now -- though I think I"m more "naturally" aware of the sting the term can cause. Like anything else, though, many times it depends on who is saying the term.

Maybe it's a natural hair insult when you were a kid -- back then, "nappy" was a fighting word. Yeah, I know many naturals today embrace the word now, but it was not the business back then. Are there certain natural hair insults that we need to rethink or are we too sensitive?


Is there a Naturals' Pass?
Many times, we get offended based on who lobs the insult. I know I've seen plenty of eyebrow raising things on forums. Most of the time, it's "packaged" differently, by typing of hair, as in type 1, 2 and 3 hair is somehow better.

Hair typing still gets the side eye from me, but oh, well. That doesn't mean that naturals can't, and won't, insult fellow naturals. However, I think the sting doesn't hurt as much? It's wrong, but it's almost like it's a bit more acceptable when from your own.

But a relaxed girl? Sorry, she can't say nothing, as we saw in Char Jay's hilarious YouTube vid, Sh*t Relaxed Girls Say to Natural Girls."


 What's the best way to respond when your natural hair is insulted?




No comments:

Post a Comment