Monday, January 30, 2012

How to Shop For Less At Discount Retailers -- 3 Tips to Save Big

I was talking to a group of women the other day about discount shopping, and let me just say that there is a science to it.

Most people fall into two camps:

Camp A: You'll a label "whore" who pays full price, and you don't want to schlep around store-to-store for a deal.

Camp B: You aren't a slave to labels, like the option of paying a discount, and you'll search hell or high water to find a deal.

I fall into Camp B. In fact, unless I absolutely need something, rarely will I pay full price for something at a major retailer.

Here's how to score savings:

1. Shop discount stores like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx and Loehmann's. First, you have to look through the racks. This step alone stops most people, but if you are willing to look, you can score major deals --- many times, the same things that are in department stores.
These stores sell Michael Kors, Guess, Calvin Klein and other brands -- many times, current season wares at at least a 20% discount. Officially, TJ Maxx/Marshalls say their goods are 60% discounted, and that's true in many cases. You can typically find current, this/last season deals for a good price -- if you are willing to comb the racks!


2. Don't wait -- buy! If you see a Calvin Klein Trench coat for $39.99 at Ross, snag it.  When you come back, it most likely will be gone. Better to buy and return than to not buy at all. Merchandise at discount stores moves fast -- what's on the rack today may not be there tomorrow.

Go early, and often (find out which days their deliveries come in) to snag the best deals. Since turnover is so frequent,  there are often markdowns on top of the discounted price. In fact, I always head to the clearance racks first at Ross.

And don't be afraid to ask for more of a discount if an item is worn or damaged. Not sure what their "official" policy is, but I believe that all returned items are marked down. I saw a dress with a whole in it. I'm not seamstress, but I knew I could quickly repair it with a needle and thread.

I asked a cashier if I could get an additional discount.  It was late, she seemed tired and she said "no." The next morning, I picked up the same dress for $14.99, asked a different cashier, and got a 10% discount. SCORE!

Lesson 1: Ask a manager.
Lesson 2: Be strategic, and nice never hurts! Try not to ask for discounts at the end of the day, when staff is tired. You may be able to get a discount if there are lines.

Another good deal: A few weeks ago, I picked up a pair of black patent leather platform pumps by Guess. They were $13.99, but had a few scuff marks. I asked the manager if they could do an additional markdown (10% is standard) but she gave me 25% and they were final returns.

Some Marshalls stores even have layaway. Also, find out which stores you like best, because not all of them are the same in terms of merchandise, product selection or store layout.

3. Frequent online shopping clubs. I haven't bought from online shopping clubs, many people love them. You have to be a member, and clubs like HauteLook.com and Gilt.com offer steep discounts on top brands. Score high-end brands like Prada, Fendi, or other not-so-well known brands. I've seen some pretty good deals. Most sites say shipping takes about 10 days. If you're willing to wait, I say go for it!



http://www.marshallsonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment