Friday, January 27, 2012

Nicki Minaj Disses Natural Hair -- Again!

Why am I not surprised by this?

Rapper Nicki Minaj disses natural hair -- for the second time!

This time, Nicki throws more shade in her song, "Stupid H--"

"Them nappy headed hoes but my kitchen good."

This isn't the first time Nicki has put down naturals.  On a single on her first album, "Did It on "Em," Nick raps:

"These little nappy headed hoes need a perminator."




Natural Hair Shade Never Stops
Sometimes, I get so tired of  blogging about natural hair put downs. The stories get old, real quick. Even more so when it's from your own. I'm not surprised, though, just disappointed.

I mean, really. If I published a blog on every time someone said something stupid about natural hair, I'd have an endless supply of material. From Don Imus's famous "Nappy Headed Hoes" comment to the Rutgers University Women's Basketball team in 2007, to actor Isaiah Mustafa stating his preference for his girlfriend and children to have "good" hair, to talk show host Wendy Williams and actress Brandy saying that her child would have "good" hair on national TV, I'm so done.

I halfheartedly expect it from someone like Don Imus, but then I have to ask: Do I expect more from a woman who is rumored to have an oversized, surgically enhanced butt? Wait, she wants the ass of a Black woman, but not the hair of a Black woman?

Ironic, huh?

Why I'm So Disappointed
Nicki is in awesome position. She's the top selling female rapper. It's been years since we've seen a rapper of her stature, not since the 90s when rappers like Queen Latifah, MC Lyte and Lil' Kim ranked at the top of the charts.

But you wouldn't know it by Nicki's Stupid H-- lyrics, with "Bi--- and H-- throughout the song. Downright insulting.

With her so-called Pink Barbie fans, flamboyant outfits and even her largess of brightly colored wigs, she influences a lot of young girls. Her voice has power, her words have weight. I expect more from her.

She's a rapper.

I get it.

She's supposed to be controversial, cutting edge.

But why at our expense?

Why You Won't See Lots of These Stories on HairNista.Com
I'm going to be careful not to hype up all of the natural hair negativity. By writing about it constantly, we give it life. That doesn't mean you won't see some stories about the topic on HairNista.com.

We'll report it, but not emphasize it.

I don't want to report ratchetness.

Yes, it exists. And probably always will.

But we'll fight it by uplifting what others put down.

By being proud of what others go disparage.

By wearing, with no apologies, our kinky, coily, curly natural hair.

What do you think about Nikki's comments? Are we too sensitive about natural hair put downs or are we rightly justified?





No comments:

Post a Comment