Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year, New Hair?

The New Year brings about a renewed interest in goals, plans and life changes.

Same thing with our hair. Why should it be any different, right?

Maybe you ushered in a new do in 2012. Let's dish!

On older stylist once told me that radical hair changes usually mean we're going something in our personal lives. Kinda agree with that, kinda don't. When I think about the times I've radically changed my hair -- shaved it off -- it was because I desperately wanted something different.

Was tired of the same old, same old. Ironically, I was going through some major transitions at the time in my personal life -- moving from Detroit to Atlanta, or once I settled in Atlanta, I finally felt brave enough for that new, short do that I'd always wanted (I've had medium to long hair forever, but never a short cut).


Jill Scott at Monday's VH1 Divas Showcase
Now, do I think the person who does a BC means that they're going through something? Not necessarily. They just want change, and that "something" may be their desire to become natural, free themselves from the creamy crack, etc. What that older stylist told me was akin to saying, "you cray if you cut all your hair off."

Nah, I don't believe in that ish.

I think most of that advice applied to permed hair. We know that natural hair is highly versatile -- straight one day, curly the next, twist out the next day. And that's what I like most about natural hair.

No Regrets

It's only the second day in 2012. And this year, I'm all about living my life without regrets. If you want to cut your hair, cut it. It will grow back. If you want to dread it, do it. You can always start over.

Soul artist Jill Scott, known for switching up her hairstyles, rocked a shaved do on Monday at a VH1 event. Go Jill! Jill had gotten a bit of heat from the natural community for appearing to have had a permed short style. But, Jill set the record straight that while, she loves her hair, she isn't a hair role model. In other words, she's doing her!  And I'm lovin' that blue fur, girlie!

Must you do this? No, but if you want to, do you!

Let's make this the year that, if we want radical changes in our hair, we do it.




No comments:

Post a Comment