Friday, January 13, 2012

"Good" Hair

No, this is not THAT type of blog.

This has nothing to do with our hair's texture, straightness, thickness or curl pattern; it has everything to do with how we feel about our hair style.

I'm talking about "good" hair -- you know, those days when you KNOW you're hair is on point. Can't nobody tell you nothin' about your hair. That fro is laying just right. Your twist out is bangin'! Your curls are hella defined. The hair Gods have looked down and blessed you!

This is my definition of "good" hair -- not how straight, fine or curly your hair texture is.

Good hair day (twist and curl on damp hair with glycerine, Dax and cupacau butter, and put in an updo)
Can't tell me NOTHIN!

You Better WORK! Work badge picture, but this is the best twist out I've had EVER!
(Twist and curl on previously flat ironed, damp hair with glycerine and Dax.)  HOLLA! Weird smile, but love the hair!


"Bad" Hair
Now, "bad" hair, in my book, are those bad hair days. You look the mirror and go, "REALLY!" Your wash and go is ... meh! You got hella shrinkage -- and you don't like it! Your twist out is looking a frizzed out HOT mess!

Your fro is shaped like sideshow Bob. Your usual hair tools, go-to products and your hair are just not cooperating. Can't do nothing right with your hair to save your life and you don't have that hair swag. Good and bad hair days are highly subjective, we can be super picky, and those are the days when it feels good to get a compliment.

But let's keep it real: There are days that you look in the mirror and wanna throw a wig or hat on top of it. Rain, fog or humidity = higher probability of bad hair day. My hair has to be put up, or it's going to be a frizzy mess. 

I'm OK with some frizz. But all over? Girl, BYE!

Here are some of my bad hair days:
WTH was I thinking? So NOT the business. I have no idea how I got this style, but I never want to see it again!

A FAILED twist and curl + rain. Shrinkage like a mug!


Let's redefine the terms "good" and "bad" hair, to mean less about our individual hair's texture, density and curl pattern and more about our hair style or good and bad hair days. A style can be changed -- our texture can't, without heat and chemicals, of course.

And let's keep chasing those "good" hair days.



2 comments:

  1. I actually liked the second "bad" hair day picture. I have had my share of bad hair days but I will throw on a pair of hoops and cute pair of shoes and do the damn thang!!!

    ReplyDelete