Friday, January 6, 2012

Love it or Hate It?

I'm not usually a big fan of chocolate girls and blond hair. Something about it just looks OFF to me.

Many times, it's not the hair, but our skin tones. The blond color, depending upon your complexion, does nothing for most of our rich hues. There are always exceptions, of course.

There are only a few celebs who I think can really rock blond. Beyonce comes to mind and, while Mary J. Blige always, always rocks blond, I am not a big fan of it on her most of the time and never have been.

My opposition is mainly because it looks all wrong -- not because of any supposed cultural sensitivity. Black hair comes in many different colors -- from sandy brown to blond to red. My problem is this: Most of the time, the color we see on Black girls is that messy, shiny looking platinum blond weave/wig hair that looks doll hair.

So not a good look.

Natural and Blond?

I see a good amount of girls rocking blond-dipped locks. Still, many naturals prefer to steer far away from it because it's extra drying -- the extreme color strips more moisture from our naturally darkly-hued hair than other colors.

Honey blond? Usually that works well, but again, it's all about the application. A little bit works wonders. Blond highlights are one thing; a whole head might be something else  (I've even thought about blond highlights in the front of my hair).

But, never say never, because these chocolate girls are working their blond. And guess what? I love it.

This pic is absolutely gorgeous. I love the depth of the color. It absolutely works with her copper-colored skin tone, and it's spot on. I think this model would look totally different with her natural black/dark brown hair.


Source




And this model is working platinum blond in her TWA. The shirt goes perfectly with her hair and the contrast of the platinum blond and her cocoa colored complexion is AMAZING! Can I tell you I love it!


Source, via lecoil.tumblr.com




What about you? Would you go blond? Are you a fan or do you hate it? If you went blond, what color would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment