Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bloggers Go Hard on Baby Blue Ivy Carter



I usually don't deal with issues of colorism on this blog ...

Hell, our hair "issues" are enough, don't you think?

One issue at a time. Inextricably, though, hair and skin issues are usually tied together, especially when it comes to Black folks or people of color. Was reading an article in Essence yesterday that gave me pause.

Apparently, folks are going in online on what Blue Ivy Carter -- the uber famous offspring of Jay Z and Bey -- will look like. Apparently, one too many have said they don't want the baby to look like Jay. Essence columnist Demetria Lucas asked bluntly, "Do we as a collective really believe Black is beautiful?"

Sigh.

Are We Obsessed About Denying Our African Features?

Lucas' column came after Colorlines wrote this piece, "On Baby Blue Carter and the Alleged Ugliness of Blackness."

OUCH!

Writer Akiba Solomon posted just a bit of the vitriol that she said she'd seen on blogs about baby Blue:

"hopefully she gets most of her looks from her mother’s side.”
“thats gonna be one ugly nigga baby with big ass lips and a dirty ass weave.”
“i just hope beyonce genetics dont get over powered by camel genes.”
“I had a dog named Blue! Poor kid—all of the talent and money in the world won’t do her much good if she looks like Jay-Z.”
“I had no idea that that ‘adorable’ and ‘Jay Z’s nose, eyes and lips’ could have been used in the same sentence. I wish them the best of luck though!! <3 <3”
“i NEED pictures cause that baby don’t sound “adorable” She got all the ugly traits of Jay-Z..not to be mean or rude & talk about a kid or nun but that baby sound ugly.”

Well, damn!

Solomon wrote: "walking among stunted souls who traffic in the idea that the full lips, large eyes, broad nose and dark brown skin of a Jay-Z is inherently ugly.” And, sorry, but as a woman with skin the color of chocolate, I definitely don't call Jay "dark brown." My skin is dark brown, not his.

Yet, the online comments above are what some of us really feel, deep down inside, those feelings that we really don't want to admit. As bad as it sounds, we still hear these these kinds of statements -- and worse -- every day.

Just ask any kid on the playground. We are all cumbaya on hair blogs, but real talk: Kids today are still teased and bullied for "nappy" hear and dark skin, so I'm not surprised one bit. It's clear that we still have a lot of self love work to do, when folks call a baby the N-word with big a** lips.

The Power Baby of Hip Hop

Still, everybody and their Momma want to see what Baby Blue looks like. You can expect this from any offspring birthed from the power couple of hip hop or any celebrity baby. But especially this baby.

Folks trashed Beyonce online, said she wasn't pregnant, had a surrogate, you name it. I've even seen purported apps that promised to combine pics of Jay and Bey and tell you what their child would like like. Seriously? This is the reason why a $1.3 million wing was built at the NYC hospital where Baby Blue was born. Really, can you blame Jay and Beyonce?

Even I'm curious to see Blue when she's revealed. But not for the comments above. Sure, I've heard plenty of folks say they wonder if the Baby will look like Jay, and they left it at that. Is that statement inherently colorist?

Maybe, but not necessarily. Many, like me, just want to know what the baby looks like. Just as we'd want to know what any baby of  celebrities or royalty -- and I do think Baby Blue is hip hop royalty -- would look like.

So it is with this child.

What's Really Behind it?

Essence took it a step further. Lucas wrote:

 "If some of us are very honest, we’ll acknowledge that there are only certain “Black” physical features that we as a collective find attractive. Curves? A blessing and curse. Full lips? Eh… depends on how full. Broad nose? On women, not at all. On men? Some get a pass, but not Jay-Z. Kinky hair? Not so much. There’s a reason most Black women “prefer” perms and even a lot of natural girls spend an inordinate amount of time and product trying to reconfigure their coils into curls."

Based on Colorlines' comments, I have to agree a bit: Some clearly hope the baby will take after Bey's more "creole" (Beyonce's reported definition of her family genealogy, not mine) features and, as some have also said, her "lighter" skin. 

But, just because a person is Black doesn't mean they're attractive. Unattractive people come in all races.

I think Jay has mad swag. And if Beyonce likes it, I love it. She's married to him --  not me or any other woman -- so only her opinion counts. Every woman should be with that man who treats her like a queen. I believe that Beyonce has found that with Jay.

 *shrugs.*

I don't necessarily find him the most attractive man in the world (though his full lips look exquisite), but my opinion doesn't count. Who cares what I think? But I love me some Idris Elba, Lance Gross and Djimon Hounsou, with their rich, chocolate skin and features that are clearly, without a doubt, African.

Meh.

I just wish we'd cut Baby Blue some slack.

When Blue is finally revealed, folks are really going to go in. If she looks like Jay, Lord help her. You think the bloggers went in before? One can just imagine what they'll say then. And that's hard for anyone to read because she's just an innocent child. Kids should be off limits on blogs, but clearly most folks don't think that way.

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What do you think? Do you think people are obsessed with Baby Blue Carter? Is it wrong that we want to know what she looks like? Do you think people are focusing too much on skin color, African features? Do you think we are overreacting?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, people are obsessed with Jay, Bey and baby Blue. They are human just like you and me. They bleed and cry just like us. But I gotta be honest though, I don't think that Jay is the most handsome man on the planet. He definitely has swagger though. It has nothing to do with the color of his skin. If those same features were on someone of a different race, he still wouldn't be cute. (I'm just sayin') But like you said that's Beyonce's husband, and she's the only one who has to like it.

    You can't help but be curious about what baby Blue looks like. People are invested in this couple, and they have anticipated seeing this baby.

    I think that it's people who haven't reconciled in their heads the history of racism. And also people who are still sippin' that kool-aid believing that europeon features are what equate beauty. Since going natural, I've really wrestle with that. I've always appreciated the different shades of 'our' skin. My issue is finding and appreciating the beauty in my kinks. I'm still a work in progress.

    Sorry for the long post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, @purplgirl48. And I love long posts! Seriously, though, I'm in agreement with ya.

    You eloquently summed up what I was trying to say: Jay's features, on a many of any race, wouldn't necessarily be attractive IMO.

    I know that I find certain phenotypes attractive. Like, I think Lance Gross, Laz Alonso, Michael Ealy and Idris' facial features would be HOT on any man, regardless of race, LOL. They all have strong, masculine facial features, which I find attractive.

    I appreciate your honesty. We are all works in progress!

    ReplyDelete